These items pertain to access systems for mini storage in general, and are not specific to either the Falcon or the DigiGate system.
Please see this page for more information on false alarms.
In many jurisdictions, gate operators and the gates themselves, are required to meet UL325This is a specification written for the installation of gate operators and their accompanying safety devices. Many municipalities have enacted statutes requiring all installations of gate operator follow these specifications. The specs include requirements for safety edges, and internal overcurrent detection systems, among others. The safety devices required depend on the type of operator being installed, and the type of use for the operator. safety specifications to reduce the possibility of injury. Some of these are:
- All openings in the slide gate located between the bottom of the gate and four feet above ground level must be guarded or screened. The guarding or screen must be able to prevent a 2-1/4 inch diameter object from penetrating an opening in the gate. In addition, any fence which is fronted by the gate when the gate is in the open position must be guarded or screened in a similar manner.
- All exposed pinch points and rollers must be guarded.
- Gate access is intended for vehicular traffic only. Pedestrians must be provided a separate access.
- Approved warning signs should be permanently installed on both sides of the gate.
- Edge sensors must be installed at each end of the slide gate, or a photo eye used. In addition, entrapment protection must be provided in the area that the gate retracts into as it is opening. Sensors must be of the "monitored" type.
For Gate Operators
- All access controls must be mounted far enough from the gate to prevent a user from coming in contact with a gate while operating the access controls. (Essentially, this means that a user should not be able to reach through a gate to operate a keypad or other control for the gate)
- The Alarm Reset Pushbutton must be mounted in a location with a clear view of the gate. This pushbutton must be secured to prevent unauthorized use.
- An approved warning sticker should be placed in clear view on the operator.
Note that the above applies to slide gates. Gates of the Vertical lift and fold, or barrier arm gates, have a different set of safety devices.