The intercom systems provided by PTI Security systems are built into the keypads and are designed to work with Aiphone brand master stations (LEF models, or NEM models with adaptors). The intercom substations use either a 2 or 3 conductor shielded wire to communicate to these master stations. In addition to the substations in the keypads, there may be one or more independent LED model substations placed in strategic locations of the facility.
The intercom system uses 18 Gauge shielded cable for the connections, which is provided by PTI Security Systems. This cable is either two or three conductor, depending on the intercom equipment.
- For systems that consist of a single master station and one or more substations, 2-conductor shielded cable is used.
- For systems that have more than one master station, or that include background music adapters, overhead speakers or All Call adapters, 3-conductor shielded cable is used.
- Systems that use more than one master station, but do not have communication between masters, may use a two-wire system. An example of this may be a system that has two master stations placed beside each other, to allow for a large # of substations to be connected.
- The maximum distance the wire can be pulled from the master station to any substation or keypad is 1600 feet.
- Each substation has an individual cable that is home run to the master station location.
- Only one substation or keypad can be connected to any one station on the master intercom. Placing two or more substations or keypads onto the same station on the
master is not permitted.
- Independent substations do not require power.
Background Noise or Hum: The most common complaint of intercom systems is a hum or other loud background noise when a substation is selected.